Manage your income

Your tool for taxes

It’s important for self-employed individuals to have a good system for their accounting, administration, and taxes.

Whether you’re a freelancer, self-employed in a sole proprietorship, or self-employed exempt from VAT, Accountable makes tracking, managing, and filing your taxes simple and stress-free. Accountable’s software even guarantees error-free tax returns: in case of an error, we reimburse the fine imposed by the tax authorities, up to €5,000.

What can you do with Accountable:
• Send professional invoices: Create accurate invoices with precise legal notes for exceptional and complex cases.
• Save on taxes with every expense: Scan receipts and see immediately how much you save.
• Monitor how much tax you owe 24/7: Connect your bank account and see how much money you have left after taxes.

Understand your business costs

As a self-employed entrepreneur in Belgium, the best way to reduce your taxes is to deduct specific professional expenses. Navigate through this search engine of Deductibles.be, specially developed for self-employed individuals like you and me.

FAQ about professional expenses for self-employed in Belgium

What are deductible expenses?

Deductible expenses or professional expenses are costs incurred in the course of your professional activity as a self-employed individual. These costs are tax-deductible from your taxable income. By deducting specific professional expenses, you can lower your taxable income, resulting in reduced tax payments. Some common deductible expenses include:

  • Your office, commercial space, or home office
  • Internet and telephone expenses
  • Travel and restaurant expenses
  • Costs related to a car, public transportation, etc.
Which expenses can I deduct as a self-employed individual in Belgium?

All expenses with a clear professional character are (partially) tax-deductible for self-employed individuals in Belgium. Here is a list of common deductible expenses:

  • Business expenses, including office rent, office supplies, website hosting, marketing costs, software, and subscriptions.
  • Travel and transportation expenses, such as fuel, public transportation costs, accommodation during business trips, and meals while traveling for business.
  • Accounting fees, which can include fees paid to lawyers or tax advisors for business-related services.
  • Professional development costs, including training, seminars, and workshops.
  • Expenses related to a home office, such as the home office deduction, rent, utilities, etc.
  • Bank charges, like fees associated with your business bank account or charges for international payments.
  • Business meetings, such as dinners with clients or client gifts.

These expenses can be deducted from your taxable income, reducing your overall tax liability as a self-employed individual in Belgium.

Can I deduct my home office for tax purposes?

If you purchased your home, it is possible to deduct the mortgage interest for tax purposes. If you are renting a home, it is not possible to deduct the rent as a business expense unless it is specifically described in your lease agreement.

Can I deduct my gym membership in Belgium?

You can only deduct expenses that are directly related to your professional activities. In most cases, a fitness subscription has a predominantly private character, as its purpose is to promote your health and personal well-being. Even if it may improve your performance, your fitness subscription does not have a business character.

Is my car tax-deductible?

In most cases, your car is considered a mixed cost, especially if you are a self-employed individual in a sole proprietorship. This means that you can only deduct the expenses related to its professional use as a business expense. For example, if you use your car for professional purposes for 4 out of 7 days, you can deduct expenses for that same percentage. These expenses include the purchase of your vehicle (note that there is a difference between electric and non-electric cars), gasoline, accessories, cleaning costs, etc.

Get your professional insurances in order

Many self-employed individuals forget this step, but there are several professional insurances that can be highly beneficial. Consider the following professional insurances:

  • Guaranteed income insurance
  • Hospitalization insurance
  • Professional liability insurance
  • VAPZ (pension insurance)

Most professional insurances are also almost entirely tax-deductible, making it a win-win situation, in our opinion.